I didn’t end up going on a vacation but did start a new job. Lots to learn. 🙂
I was looking for a quick getaway for 4-5 days and so naturally I googled “best places to visit in April”. Two of the the top 10 places: Los Angeles and San Diego made the list. I live in Long Beach which is ~30mins from LA and an hour from San Diego.
The challenges of living in SoCal even when you want to getaway it’s recommended to stay.
I’m sitting in St. Helena, CA and Long Beach, where I live, is flooded. The 710 Freeway, parts of downtown and my first thought was: Damn, I’m missing out on some save-worthy Snapchat content. After the thought, I must reflect on what’s important to me and why we are where we are. I was taught early on if you don’t like where you’re headed than change. Sometimes easier said than done.
I used to struggle with then vs than and one day I decided that I’m going to fix this issue. 12+ years of public school and I should know the difference, but I only learned it when I valued knowing the difference. I’ve learned that I only change when I see the value in what I want to change.
I think I avoided writing because it’s one of my insecurities. Plus I only have a limited amount things to say and if I write about them all, then what will I say in conversations with others.
That is all.
Three days in a row!
Day 7: check
- Millions marched for the women’s march around the world
- Trump Press Secretary scolded the journalists for not accurately representing how many people were at his inauguration. OK.
- Aziz Ansari hosted SNL – Epic
- Continued to rain
- Scoured the internet for a good movie to watch but couldn’t find one because I was looking for the perfect movie like Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds and Anna Farris. Didn’t find it, so started watching the Netflix Original: A series of unfortunate event, was bored for a second so ended up on Facebook where I saw Aziz Ansari’s monologue on SNL posted, watched that and spent an hour YouTube.
- The statement above is one of the reasons Donald Trump is President. Spent ~ 1.5hrs looking for something to entertain me.
Two days in a row!
Day 6: Check
Tree fell from the rain in St Helena, CA.
Donald Trump is now our President. If you asked me two years ago, “Do you think Donald Trump would be President?”. I’d probably laugh and say sure, it’s possible, not likely though.
Here we are.
Anything can happen in a couple years.
For that reason I am hopeful for what the future holds. We have a lot of work to do and President Obama was sort of this newspaper laid over all the mess that still existed.
“Racism is gone, we have a black president”
That is not the case and never was. We as individuals have to consciously make the correct choices daily to become better as a whole.
Day 5: Check